161 Pattison St NE
Olympia WA 98506
The Interfaith Works Shelter is on the 1st Floor
Unity Commons Permanent Supportive Housing is on floors 2-5
Shelter Front Desk
If we do not answer the phone, please leave a message anytime and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
What to Expect as a Shelter Guest at Unity Commons
Our shelter is different from a lot of shelters. We accept everyone as you are and we do whatever we can to not kick people out.
Sometimes it’s quiet, sometimes it’s loud, sometimes people are under the influence or having mental health crises, sometimes we do things that guests don’t agree with and we always try to listen and learn from our mistakes.
We believe that everyone deserves second, third, fourth, tenth chances and we try to accommodate and welcome every person who comes through our doors regardless of their circumstance.
Missing a Night in the Shelter?
Please use this form to tell us if you're going to be late or miss a night at the UC Shelter.
Are you a Unity Commons Resident living in the Permanent Supportive Housing?
Please check out this Digital Bulletin Board for upcoming events, important information, and links to community resources!
Frequently Asked Questions
WHO STAYS AT THE SHELTER?
We prioritize sheltering people who are over 50 and have difficulty accessing other services because of age, physical health, physical disability, mental health and substance use challenges.
HOW DO I GET AN ASSIGNED BED?
- We assign beds based on need according to the vulnerability assessment. The assessment is a 15 minute interview that asks questions about your history of homelessness, medical needs, social behaviors, and substance use.
- We use the assessment so we can be as objective and fair in assigning our shelter beds according to highest need.
- If more than one person has the same assessment outcome, we use a lottery system to assign the bed.
- We also take into consideration current crises or high risk medical emergencies.
HOW often do beds open up?
- We have an open ended length of stay policy, which means that our beds only open when guests move into housing or leave the shelter for other reasons.
- On average, a bed opens up about once a month.
How do i get on the waitlist?
- Getting placed on the waitlist for shelter at Unity Commons happens through the Coordinated Entry System. You can complete the assessment and be placed on this waitlist by calling the Coordinated Entry Hotline at 1.844.628.7343. If you've already done an assessment with Coordinated Entry and are looking to be placed on the waitlist for shelter at Unity Commons, please call Coordinated Entry and update your current information.
HOW LONG IS THE WAITLIST?
The length of the wait list varies depending on need, availability, and season.
Where am I on the waitlist?
When your name comes up on the wait list you will be contacted by an on-site manager. Because our beds become available on an inconsistent basis, we cannot give you a clear placement or timeline for when your name will come up on the wait list.